My favorite Kale, Sausage and Potato Soup
Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup
As soon as the weather turns the least bit chilly, I whip up this soup. It’s spicy, smoky, creamy and just all around super cozy. It is my go-to for the season and I make it a few times a month! The best part is- it’s amazing for leftovers.
- 1 lb. hot ground pork sausage (I use the Jimmy Dean brand)
- 2 cans cannelini beans or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½-2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1 in. pieces
- 1 big bunch kale, stripped off stalk and chopped (or 1 bag of pre-chopped kale)
- ¼ c. heavy cream
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika (or less to taste)
- S&p to taste
- 1-2 tsp oregano
- 1-2 tbsp. butter
- 1-2 tsp cayenne (optional)
1. Cook sausage in skillet until no longer pink, drain on paper towel and set aside.
2. Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in butter over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the beans, spices and stir to combine.
4. Add the chicken broth, cooked sausage, potatoes and bay leaves and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add the kale and heavy cream and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
6. Taste and adjust any seasonings. Enjoy!
*Store leftovers in airtight container in fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat on stove top!