Smoky 3-Bean Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili
Smoky 3-bean turkey and sweet potato chili
We’re in the home stretch of winter and this turkey chili will warm you up on the coldest night! The combo of the smoky and spicy chipotle flavors with the sweetness of the potato (with my secret ingredient) takes this chili to the next level! Feel free to adjust your spices as needed. This recipe is also perfect for a quick weeknight meal, or for your next dinner party!
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into ¾ in-1 in pieces
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can fire roasted & chopped tomatoes
- 1 can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp. Frontera chipotle sauce
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 qt. vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. salt & pepper, combined
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. hot paprika
- Pinch brown sugar (trust me on this!)
Toppings: (optional, but encouraged)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Avocado, chopped
- Sharp cheddar, grated
- Plain greek yogurt
1. Sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat about 2-3 minutes. Add the turkey and cook until mostly browned (don’t worry, the turkey will finish cooking with the other ingredients).
2. Add your spices, tomato paste, chipotle sauce and stir until fragrant (1 minute, or so)
3. Add your beans, fire roasted tomatoes and broth.
4. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
5. Add your chopped sweet potatoes and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
6. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
7. Serve with your favorite toppings + some cornbread and enjoy!